Sunday, November 23, 2014

 
 Welcome, welcome, welcome!

 Social Work Sound Board has expanded to a blog! 

As a Facebook page, www.facebook.com/socialworksoundboard has been expanding daily- I felt it was time to expand onto the blog platform.

My name is Vanessa and I am an school-based Social Worker in NYC. I come from a varied background of work with both adults and children. I am extremely excited to be enriching my career as a Pediatric Social Worker. As a woman, working in a deeply dimensional urban neighborhood, I am extremely excited to have a conversation about my work. One of Social Work Sound Board's main mantras is #letshaveaconversation. 

The mission of Social Work Sound Board, born this Summer of 2014, is to connect Social Workers everywhere. We are an amazing body of men and women who dedicate our lives to tackling issues that everyone else backs away from. As I'm sure you've already experienced, the things we do are beyond words. Our families don't understand it, our friends don't understand it. When people you know ask how was your day, you're often at a loss for words. It's okay, I know. I am too. 

But not here. Here, we can speak out. Here, together, we can tackle the issues that we can't possibly bring into the other arenas of our lives. We can talk about race and sexuality. We can talk about abuse, and transference. We can talk about inequality, and oppression. We can talk about trauma, and especially-secondary trauma. We can talk about therapeutic methods. We can share tips, stories, and resources. This isn't dinner conversation. Stories about our jobs are not the kind you casually share over a cup of coffee or lightly through text. They are real, they are heavy, and they now have a place.

This is our place. Why? Because we deserve one. We deserve a place we can go for help- because being that place that other people go to for help leaves us empty sometimes. Come here and recharge your batteries. Most importantly, please share this with your other Social Worker friends and colleagues. The conversation needs to get louder, and more people need to join it. 

Please! Do not turn around if you are not a Social Worker. EVERYONE is welcome here. In case you didn't know this about Social Workers, we love to talk to people. We like to experience peoples' stories. All are welcome to come and talk. I look forward to introducing myself to all of you and having a place to share my thoughts. 

 Thanks for stopping by this is just the beginning!

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot; nothing's going to get better. It's not."-Dr. Seuss

No comments:

Post a Comment